Professional Learning Networks

Professional Learning Networks

PLN stands for Professional Learning Network, your very own dream team of mentors, experts, and enthusiasts from all around the globe! PLNs have gained prominence as essential tools for personal and professional development. PLNs leverage online platforms and social media to connect people with similar interests, goals, or expertise, enabling collaborative learning. The beauty of PLNs lies in their ability to foster a sense of community and shared knowledge. They break down geographical barriers, allowing individuals from different parts of the world to come together and exchange ideas.

My Twitter Profile

Getting ready for my first Twitter chat made me think about my time as a teacher. I've always focused on my students, working hard to plan lessons, grade assignments, and help them do well. But there's something important in teaching that I haven't really looked into, the benefits of having a Professional Learning Network (PLN). Twitter chats would provide a fresh opportunity to connect with fellow professionals like me. The idea of engaging in swift, condensed conversations within the constraints of 280 characters was initially perplexing. However, intrigued by the potential for learning and connecting, I ventured into this unfamiliar territory and set up my own Twitter account.

Twitter Chat

I don't see myself as tech-savvy, although I can usually manage my way around digital platforms. However, finding a suitable Twitter chat felt incredibly challenging. After finally finding a Twitter chat and navigating my way to the scheduled chat, questions flooded my mind. Would I be able to keep up? Were there any common abbreviations or acronyms used in Twitter chats that I should familiarize myself with? How long does a chat typically last, and was it okay to join or leave the conversation midway? When the chat began, the speed of the conversation was overwhelming, leaving me momentarily flustered as I struggled to keep up with the rapid flow of tweets. Messages were flying across the screen faster than I could read, let alone respond. It was exhausting and despite my best efforts, I struggled to keep up with the fast pace of the discussion. When I was finished, I couldn’t shake off the nagging feeling that perhaps this platform wasn't suited for me. As I reflected on my experience, I realized that while Twitter chats might not be the ideal platform for everyone, they offer a unique space for learning and networking, a space where diverse voices could come together, collaborate, and grow.


Source: Author


Source: Author

Comments

  1. #EduChats aren't for everyone. At least you were able to see the potential of how educators can increase their PLNs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment