Introduction
Hello!
![]() |
| Image Souce: Pesonal Photo |
My name is Veronica De Alba, as a non-traditional student, I began my educational path later in life as I was raising a family when most were entering their first year of college. I returned to school for my teaching degree when my family home life was more stable, and I could dedicate the time and effort to my studies. I have been teaching for 11 years for Chicago Public Schools. I have taught Science, Literacy, and Social Science at various middle school grade levels. Currently, I am a 7th-grade math teacher in the Northwest side of Chicago.
Outside of the classroom, I'm a bit of a sports
enthusiast. Cheering for my favorite teams is one of my favorite ways to unwind
when I have some free time. I'm also a proud mom of three amazing young adults.
Family time is precious to me, and I cherish every moment we spend together.
Oh, and I can't forget about my furry buddy, Conor, who never fails to bring a
smile to my face. We love going on walks together and simply enjoying the
outdoors. I am so happy to announce that I welcomed my first grandchild last
week. Becoming a grandmother has brought me so much joy and excitement into my
life.
My Relationship With Social Media
My relationship with social media has evolved over time,
reflecting my personal experiences and changing needs. Initially, I joined
Facebook primarily to stay connected with family, particularly those residing
in Mexico. Sharing bits of my life and my kids' milestones felt natural at
first. However, as time passed, I found myself using it less and less. I
realized my enthusiasm for posting dwindled.
Eventually, I made a conscious decision to minimize my
social media presence. I removed all previous posts from my account and ceased
posting altogether. This wasn't prompted by any negative experiences on social
media, it was just that I've always been a pretty private person, and I
couldn't see much point in sharing every detail of my life online. At the time,
I wasn't involved in education, and I didn't feel that social media was
significant enough for me to be actively dedicated to.
Despite this initial disengagement, my relationship with
social media has undergone a positive shift in recent times. Lately, I've found
myself getting back into Facebook, not just to keep up with family, but because
I've come across some interesting educational resources there. I've joined
groups for educators and connected with colleagues, and I've been pleasantly
surprised by the amount of useful content and networking opportunities.
Additionally, I've expanded my social media repertoire by
joining Instagram. Unlike Facebook, where my focus remains largely on family
and professional connections, Instagram serves as a platform for personal
enjoyment and inspiration. Lately, I've been really into cooking. I've found
some amazing recipes and cooking tips. Also, I've been loving those DIY videos,
whether it's ideas on how to spruce up my home or jazzing up my classroom, it
makes me happy and gives me new ideas to be creative.
I'm still navigating my way through the world of social
media, taking care to be selective about what I share online. Despite feeling relatively
new to it all, I am excited about how it can make my life better in different
ways.
*Note: I avoid using my name on my accounts and opt not to upload personal pictures.
![]() |
| Image Source: Personal Photo Facebook |
![]() |
| Image Souce: Personal Photo Instagram |



Hi Veronica!
ReplyDeleteMy mom, now retired, was a Chicago Public Schools special ed teacher for the primary grades for over thirty years. I love meeting other CPS teachers; you all are amazing!
It was very interesting reading about your evolutionary path with social media, especially finding a balance between safe information sharing and personal/professional expression. This is something I have struggled with, and still struggle with at times. As of right now, all my personal accounts reflect my professional life, as well. I allow for instagram, what I mainly use, to be a place where people I have networked with to reach out to me. This is why I have to keep my personal account professional to a degree, but I also allow it to reflect who I am and my own personal interests. It can be hard, but balance often is.
Congrats on your first grandchild, Veronica! What a wonderful time for your family. My relationship with social media mirrors yours in many ways. I'm looking forward to exploring the topic with you this spring.
ReplyDelete