Ongoing Life-Long Learning

The Role of PLNs in My Story

In this video, Dr. Trust talks about how Professional Learning Networks (PLNs) support the professional growth of educators. The area I most identify with is cognitive growth. Exploring cognitive development can help us discover new teaching methods and useful tools to improve our classroom practices, ultimately improving our effectiveness as teachers. Additionally, it can prompt critical reflection on our teaching approaches, which is essential for professional growth. Participating in PLNs provides opportunities akin to observing diverse classrooms. By observing and learning from the practices of our peers, we continuously refine our own teaching methods, contributing to the ongoing enhancement of our classrooms.

Personality Tests

The first personality test I took was the Five Factor Test.  This test measures the five key traits of human personality: openness to experience, conscientiousness, extraversion, agreeableness, and neuroticism. After taking the personality test, I found that I scored the highest on Agreeableness, and I must admit, it feels like an affirmation of who I am at my core. I've always valued cooperation and find satisfaction in getting along with others. Being considerate, friendly, and helpful are qualities I strive to embody every day. I realize that being agreeable might not be the best approach in every situation, especially when tough choices arise. Nonetheless, I'm thankful for the benefits it offers, like making it easier to get along with others. For me, being agreeable isn't just a trait, it's a fundamental part of who I am.

Source: psychologistworld.com

The second personality test I took was the FiveThirtyEight. This test scores individuals on five traits: extraversion, agreeableness, conscientiousness, negative emotionality, and openness to experience, each on a scale of 0 to 100. One thing that sets this test apart from the others I took is that it not only assesses main personality traits but also breaks them down into smaller subtraits. Once again, after taking a closer look at my personality assessment, it's clear that I rank highest in agreeableness. This trait really defines how I interact with others and the way I approach different situations. But within this overarching trait, there are these smaller qualities that make up who I am- compassion, respectfulness, and trust. All these qualities together paint a pretty clear picture of who I am. They show that I value kindness, understanding, and cooperation in my interactions, and they play a significant role in how I navigate relationships and create meaningful connections in my life.

Source: FiveThirtyEight.com


Source: FiveThirtyEight.com



The final personality test I took was the Personality Type Indicator. I was categorized as an INFP, which apparently makes up only about 7% of the population. The description of being intuitive resonates with me. I've often found myself relying on gut feelings. Also, acknowledging my tendency to neglect my own needs while prioritizing others is a lightbulb moment for me. It's easy to fall into the trap of being overly self-critical and seeking validation from external sources. Learning to set boundaries and prioritizing self-care is a continuous journey for me.

Source: mypersonalitytext.com

Thoughts on My Learning

Just as we build relationships and learn from others through PLNs, understanding our own personality traits adds depth to these connections. It enhances how we interact, communicate, and support each other within these networks. Overall, these tests have not only affirmed certain aspects of my personality but have also provided insights for self-reflection and professional growth.

Comments

  1. Hi Veronica,

    I too wrote about the cognitive aspect of PLNs being what I connect with and value the most-I think getting the chance to learn from the experiences or see the methods and approaches of others is what I most often seek from my PLN, and I thought your connection between that and working with a diverse classroom was very insightful. Each teacher's practice will have some unique qualities that others might be able to understand and incorporate thanks to the communication of a PLN.

    It sounds like your personality results really resonate with how you identify yourself within your professional practice-I noted on another post as well, I feel like it would be interesting to have teams of teachers take the same tests and reflect upon how those personality traits translate to their working dynamics-if teachers with similar or varied traits seem to work more effectively together. I can also understand why your agreeableness trait would make you a very strong educator-as you noted in your second set of results, your scores for compassion and respectfulness being as high as they are would be very important when it comes to connecting with and supporting students within a classroom.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment