Acceptable Use Policies

Protecting Your Digital Assets: The Role of Acceptable Use Policies

As technology integration becomes more common in our classrooms, students are constantly immersed in the latest tech trends. They effortlessly navigate the web for research, collaborate on projects, engage in discussions, and share their work, all while managing to discover new gaming platforms. While the rise in technological advancement undoubtedly poses certain risks, the benefits far outweigh them. However, it's crucial to recognize that with great access to technology comes great responsibility. This is where Acceptable Use Policies (AUPs) play an essential role in ensuring a safe and productive learning environment for students. AUPs outline guidelines and expectations for responsible technology use, helping students understand the boundaries and consequences associated with their digital activities.

Insights Into CPS's Acceptable Use Policy

As I reviewed CPS's Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) for technology, I noticed it's easily found on the CPS website. Both staff members and students have their respective AUPs, conveniently accessible from the same webpage. This ensures clarity regarding the rules applicable to each individual's role within the school community.

The policy is divided into nine sections, starting with who it applies to and covering things like discipline and protecting students. It lays out who has the authority, gives clear definitions, and talks about privacy, monitoring, and how to communicate with CPS staff. The AUP also explains how to report misuse and what happens if someone breaks the rules, with links to more detailed documents for extra help.

One thing to note is that the AUP seems to focus more on what staff and students shouldn't do rather than what they should do. This is shown by how it's organized online, with sections for "Acceptable" and "Prohibited" actions, and there are more things listed under "Prohibited."

Despite covering a lot of ground, the AUP hasn't been updated to include guidelines for using Artificial Intelligence (AI). This is important because AI tools are becoming more common in schools, especially since COVID-19 forced many classes online. The last update to the policy was in 2019, so it might be missing out on new tech trends. To make the AUP better, I suggest that it should be updated to include AI guidelines to keep up with the latest tech. Also, since it's been a while since the last update, it might be a good idea to review how often the AUP gets updated to make sure it stays relevant with new technology.

Phishing Awareness and CPS's Acceptable Use Policy 

Source: blog.Barracuda.com

Educators and students alike heavily depend on their email accounts for accessing various online platforms. However, this convenience comes with a considerable risk, the occurrence of phishing scams within educational institutions. The article "Phishing Scams: Don’tTake the Bait" by Andrew Wallace cautions about the dangers of phishing scams and how frequently they appear in teacher emails. It highlights how cybercriminals target educational institutions through deceptive emails, aiming to steal sensitive information or spread malware. Educators are urged to stay informed and take proactive measures to protect themselves and their institutions from falling victim to such scams.


The information on protecting ourselves from phishing attacks can be directly linked to the use of email to log into online platforms, as outlined in CPS's Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) for technology. Given that email is often the primary means of communication and authentication for accessing these platforms, ensuring the security of email accounts becomes crucial. Phishing scams targeting teachers’ and students' email accounts not only compromise personal information but also pose a threat to the integrity of online platforms accessed through these accounts.

Moreover, as outlined in the AUP, students and staff are expected to adhere to guidelines regarding the use of technology within CPS. This includes responsibilities related to email usage, such as protecting accounts from phishing attempts and promptly reporting any suspicious activity. The article proposes that by including education about phishing awareness and best practices into the Acceptable Use Policy (AUP), CPS can give students and staff the tools they need to identify and deal with potential threats more effectively.


Comments

  1. Hi Veronica! I agree with you that these phishing attacks are something that educators need to be on the lookout for. I have gotten emails that appear to be from a specific colleague (or even my boss), but when I scroll over their name, the email address is not theirs. My school district also occasionally sends out phishing tests to see which teachers fall into the trap. This gives them good data on what types of scams they need to educate us on further. I think that these are good things for students to start to learn as well! I think with so many new, very real looking, scams out there, students need to know what to look for online to stay safe. Does your school teach those skills to students? At what age do you think that would be appropriate to start teaching?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Veronica,

    I like the phrase "with great power comes great responsibility" in regard to technology. Being a millennial, I didn't receive a lot of education about digital citizenship, online safety, etc. The Gen Z students I have now are digital natives. Although they do learn about online safety, some of them seem to disregard it due to forgetting/not applying what they've learned. I think it is helpful to have a straightforward AUP that students can continue to reference throughout the year. That's great that CPS has their AUP so accessible. Ours is on a piece of paper that is handed out at the start of the year and probably never looked at again. I'm shocked that so many AUP aren't updated for AI at this point! I really like the pie chart about email domains. I don't have a gmail account at school, but I still get emails that are obviously phishing scams.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment