Safeguarding Your Online Footprint

The New Ink

In today's world of screens and keyboards, what we do online parallels with getting a tattoo, leaving our mark on the internet canvas, just like a real tattoo, it stays with us. Our online footprint tells a story about who we are, what we do, and how we interact in the digital world. As someone who values privacy, I've been conscious of the implications of my digital tattoo and have made efforts to manage it thoughtfully.

Privacy Check

When I initially joined Facebook to connect with family, particularly those abroad, it felt natural to share moments of my life. However, over time, I became increasingly aware of the potential privacy risks associated with social media platforms. The realization that my friends list and online activities were accessible to the public prompted me to reassess my approach to social media. I made a deliberate decision to minimize my social media presence by removing previous posts and limiting my online activity. While this decision wasn't fueled by negative experiences, I've always been a private person and didn't see the need to share every detail of my life online. As a result, my digital tattoo is relatively minimal, with stringent privacy settings to ensure that only I have access to my information.

During my reading of Fowler's article "Hands off my data! 15 default privacy settings you should change right now," I had a bit of an "aha" moment. It turns out, when I activated my Facebook account, I had already taken some steps to improve my privacy. With ongoing debates about default settings on social media platforms, especially Facebook, I felt it necessary to take preemptive action to protect my personal information. One adjustment I made was to limit the visibility of my friend list to only friends or even restrict it to myself, as suggested in the article. Additionally, I modified settings to control who can see the pages and lists I follow, reducing the risk of unauthorized access to my personal interests and connections. Furthermore, I selected the option to review tagged posts before they appear on my timeline, granting me greater control over the content associated with my profile. This measure ensures that I can vet posts that potentially compromise my privacy or professional image before they are publicly visible.

Although I was already aware of advertisers using our personal data for targeted ads on Facebook, in reading the article I found out about the option to customize ad preferences. Learning this, I wasted no time in turning off ads. I was surprised to learn that I could customize my ad preferences to limit targeted advertising based on personal data.

Source: Personal Facebook Account

Source: Personal Facebook Account

Looking Forward

While I prioritize privacy in my online interactions, I acknowledge the potential trade-offs, particularly in professional contexts. The decision to maintain a low profile on social media may limit visibility to potential employers or educational institutions, potentially impacting perceptions of my professional capabilities. However, at present, I prioritize safeguarding my personal information over maximizing visibility. I feel my approach to social media reflects a balance between enjoying its benefits without giving up my privacy. I'm constantly figuring out how to handle my online presence, making sure it aligns with my values and priorities.

Comments

  1. Hello, Veronica! I am in the same boat of limiting my privacy settings, including on Facebook. I've likewise set my friend list to private and review posts before they're added to my timeline. These privacy settings have become even more important now that my Facebook friends include personal connections (friends) and professional connections (colleagues). Do you find that your Facebook is geared primarily for personal use? Professional use? Or a blend of both?

    Thank you for sharing the information on adjusting your ad preferences. I didn't know that was possible on Facebook, so I appreciate you sharing that tip among many other tips. An interesting thing that I recently learned about Facebook is that your edit history is accessible for any post you edit. So if I have a post that doesn't align with my professional image, it's often better for me to just delete that post, rather than edit it, because the old version's still a part of my digital tattoo (albeit hidden behind a few clicks). Have you likewise found yourself touching up your digital tattoo to make sure it's aligned with your values and priorities?

    Thanks for sharing your insights on digital tattoos! I admire your diligence in balancing your priority of privacy with the benefits of social media. Well said and well thought out!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment